Thursday, February 5, 2009

My friend

Wow, two posts in one day? Look at me. This post is not as light hearted as the others but it's important to me nonetheless. 11 years ago today, I lost a dear friend. It was my first real experience with death with someone my age. I dated a boy when I was in 7th grade and he was in 8th. His name was Jeff Wilson. He was tall, skinny, had blone hair, blue eyes and loved Stars Wars. He was a nice guy but as you know, those middle school relationships don't last long and we broke up. We lost contact for a few months. him being in high school now and me still in 8th grade but somehow we ended up at the same youth group that December. We reconnected and started talking as friends for a few months. February 5, 1998 I went to school, went to choir practice, came home and was actually waiting for him to call me like he said he would. Instead, I got a phone call from another friend who said that Jeff Wilson was dead. He has been hit by a car on his dirt bike and had not survived. I was devastated and at first I was in denial, but it was true, my friend was gone. The next day at school was a somber one. Many students were pale and red eyed as they tried to make sense of this tragedy. How could Jeff be dead? He's just a kid, a year older then us. His funeral was 10 days later and it was packed. It was my first funeral and I'll never forget it. I can still see him laying there, like he was sleeping, he looked so good, so peaceful. My sister went with me and she had nightmares for a few nights after. Death is scary. His mother was married in that church 4 days later, I helped serve food. Later the man she married, a friend's grandpa, died and his funeral was in that same church. I hate that church. I miss my friend. Rest in Peace Jeff. Love ya.

No comments: