Friday, March 13, 2009

Bella's Rough Day

Bella Boo had a rough day yesterday. She woke up just miserable. Crusty, green boogie nose, barking cough that every time she coughed she cried because it hurt, so congested in her chest a fever of 100.8 and her voice was so raspy she could hardly cry. Luckily, I had made her a Dr. appointment the day before to make sure her ear infection was gone. So off to the Doctor we went. After waiting a bit and unable to convince Bella to eat her second bottle, the Doc came in and checked her out. He came to this conclusion: Bella had a head cold and croup. And there really isn't anything we can do about it except try to keep her comfortable. Ok, I can do that and that's what we did. She slept for awhile and ate her whole bottle when she got up. She seemed in good spirits , so we played for awhile. She can now pull herself up and was holding onto the couch when she fell. Right on her face. She howled and I picked her up and tried to comfort her. Joe went to get the mail and I looked at the clock and realized she needed to eat again. I put her down and walked into the kitchen to make her a bottle. She was still crying and started crying even harder and crawled towards me. I scooped her her up and said "it's ok, I'll hold you and make your bottle baby." She continued to sob as I made the bottle. I looked down and there was blood running down her face, covering her chin. I. freaked. out. I yelled for Joe to get his butt in the house and he came running through the door. I told him to get me wipes, then a rag as I tried to clean off the blood and see where it was coming from. Bella was screaming and throwing her head back so we couldn't see anything. I'm trying to hold myself together, be the mom, not cry but man it was hard. Joe called his sister who's a nurse who suggested we let Bella calm down and then try to look again in a few minutes. That kinda worked and we briefly saw that there was a small gash on the inside of her top lip where that thingy attaches your lip to your gums. We also called the dr. and he said to watch it but if it had already stopped bleeding then it would be fine. Mouths heal very fast. She had a bottle after that and knocked out from all the drama. I was wiped too. I had blood on me, Bella had blood on her pj's and while i was cleaning up, I saw her binky covered in blood.
Later that night, I steamed up the bathroom and gave her a bath for 15-20 minutes.Then, I rubbed her in with Baby Vicks, gave her baby motrin, feed her her bottle and put her to bed with her humidifier on. She woke up a few times last night and at 6 am (an hour earlier then usual) she was hysterical and wanted up. She's a bit better though, so I'm glad. I hope this passes soon, the dr. said 2-4 days. Poor kid.

2 comments:

Sammi said...

Poor Bella! The whole bloody mouth thing... Zoey did that. Jake accidentally knocked Zoey over. She screamed. I didn't realize she was bleeding as I carried her around. Blood all over. Jake saw it. He passed out... slid to the floor with his back to the wall. I just let Zoey chew on a wet cloth for a few minutes. She was fine. Jake thought he was going to throw up. His poor wife. Zoey had a small cut on the inside of her lip.

Growing Up Cameron said...

poor baby girl! sounds like you're giving her plenty of love. I hope it passes soon too.

xoxxooxoxo for miss bella